Hampstead woman thanks firefighters for pulling her from burning - WSFX - FOX Wilmington, NC

Hampstead woman thanks firefighters for pulling her from burning home

Posted: Updated:
Hampstead woman thanks firefighters for pulling her from burning home Hampstead woman thanks firefighters for pulling her from burning home

HAMPSTEAD, NC (WECT) - Earlier this month, firefighters from Sloop Point Volunteer Fire Department and Hampstead Volunteer Fire Department pulled a woman from her burning trailer on Lea Drive and helped to save her life.

Thursday, Judy Hinnant sat down with WECT and said she can't even begin to put into words just how grateful she is for their work.

She says when she first saw the charred remains of her home, she was shocked she survived.

"I couldn't believe it," said Hinnant.  "How someone could live through this, how this is possible I had no earthly idea someone could live through that." Firefighters smashed through her bedroom window, to pull her sleeping body from the burning trailer.

"I just laid down to take a nap, and when I woke up, I was in Chapel Hill," said Hinnant. The mother of three was treated for severe smoke inhalation, and now just about two weeks later she is back with her family, picking up the pieces.  

She says she wants everyone to know just how grateful she is for the men that pulled her through the window, and for everyone else that played a role in her rescue, including those that took her to Chapel Hill and helped her there.

"It's hard to explain how much appreciation I have for fire departments, not just Pender County, but everyone," said Hinnant. "People should understand they just didn't give a life to me but to my family." 

"When I go to bed or when I wake up in the morning, I'm so thankful to know that my mother's still around," said her daughter, Karen Hinnant. "I just don't know what I would do without her."  Even though nothing is left of her home, and her four pets were lost in the blaze, she says she's just happy to be alive.

"I'm so grateful I'm still here, I have such an appreciation for life," said Hinnant. Right now she is living with her parents, until she figures out what to do next.

Meanwhile, the Fire Department says they were not able to determine a cause of the fire, only that it started in the kitchen.

Copyright 2013 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSFX. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
FCC Public File
Email: publicfile@wsfx.com
Phone: (910) 791-8070
EEO Report
Closed Captioning